The first day of fall slipped by me unnoticed last week. I did, however, uncover the spaghetti squash on the grocery retailer. It was a full stop, dramatic, no-method second as soon as I observed it. “Fall, are you proper right here already?” I glanced spherical and observed apples and sweet potatoes on present. Then I appeared down at my shorts and sandals. “Why is it nonetheless so scorching outdoor?!”
I tossed a spaghetti squash in my basket, went residence and created mannequin 1.zero of this recipe. It’s a pleasant one to make. The extreme colors! These daring flavors! This recipe was impressed by ultimate yr’s super widespread spaghetti squash burrito bowls. In its place of Mexican flavors, I opted for Mediterranean—chickpeas, basil and parsley, pink onion and up to date pesto. I hope you all adore it merely as quite a bit because the distinctive.
I caught a fall chill inside the air yesterday night time on my stroll with Cookie, and I am so excited in regards to the fall line-up I’ve deliberate for you. Let’s hear it for scarf local weather and spaghetti squash!
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon additional-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 purple bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped crimson onion (about ½ small onion)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped current basil and/or parsley, plus additional for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese or grated Parmesan (optionally obtainable), for garnish
- ¼ cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)*
- ½ cup packed modern basil leaves
- ½ cup packed current flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup additional-virgin olive oil
- To rearrange the spaghetti squash, preheat the oven to 4 hundred ranges Fahrenheit and line an enormous, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clear-up. Use a very sharp chef’s knife to cut off the tip-excessive and actually bottom ends of each spaghetti squash. Stand the squash upright on a gentle flooring and slice by means of it from prime to bottom to divide it in half. Repeat with the other squash.
- Use an enormous spoon to scoop out the spaghetti squash seeds and discard them. Drizzle each squash half with 1 teaspoon olive oil and rub it all over the place within the inside and outdoor of the squash, together with additional oil if wanted. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over the interiors of the squash, then place them reduce-facet down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for forty to 60 minutes, until the interiors are merely pierced by way of with a fork.
- Within the meantime, to arrange the chickpea salad, combine the chickpeas, bell pepper, onion, olives, chopped basil and/or parsley, garlic, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt. Stir to combine. Type, and add additional lemon juice and/or salt if obligatory. Put apart.
- To arrange the pesto: In a small skillet, toast the pepitas over medium heat, stirring sometimes, until they’re fragrant and making little popping noises, about 5 minutes. Pour the pepitas proper right into a meals processor and permit them to chill for a few minutes. Then, add the basil, parsley, lemon juice, water and salt. Course of whereas slowly drizzling inside the olive oil, stopping to scrape down the sides as wanted, until the pepitas have broken all the best way right down to create a reasonably clear sauce. Change the pesto to a small bowl for serving.
- To assemble, use a fork to fluff up the squash and make it easier to eat. Then divide the chickpea salad between the squash “bowls” and excessive each one with a generous drizzle of pesto. Finish with a sprinkle of chopped herbs and cheese, if desired. Serve immediately. Leftovers protect successfully for about three days; whenever you plan to have leftovers, retailer the pesto individually and prime the squash with it merely sooner than serving.