Voilà! I acquired right down to create the simplest vegetable lasagna recipe, and proper right here it is. This vegetarian lasagna is cheesy (the truth is), and loaded with greens, spinach and a straightforward tomato sauce. You in all probability have any meatless-meal skeptics in your life, this lasagna will change their ideas. I’m constructive of it.
This lasagna is based on my spinach artichoke lasagna on the weblog and the roasted eggplant lasagna in my cookbook. I actually like these a lot much less-typical vegetarian lasagnas. However, I wanted to provide a primary vegetable lasagna applicable for holidays and weeknights. Proper right here it is.
Veggies and spinach
- 2 tablespoons additional-virgin olive oil
- three big carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 pink bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 ounces baby spinach
Tomato sauce (or substitute 2 cups prepared marinara sauce)
- 1 big can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup roughly chopped modern basil + additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons additional-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- 2 cups (sixteen ounces) low-fat cottage cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt, to type
- Freshly flooring black pepper, to type
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles*, ideally full wheat
- eight ounces (2 cups) freshly grated low-moisture, half-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line an enormous, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for simple cleanup.
To rearrange the veggies: In an enormous skillet over medium heat, warmth the olive oil over medium heat. As quickly as shimmering, add the carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, yellow onion, and salt. Put together dinner, stirring every couple of minutes, until the veggies are golden on the edges, about eight to 12 minutes.
- Add a few large handfuls of spinach. Put together dinner, stirring ceaselessly, until the spinach has wilted. Repeat with remaining spinach and prepare dinner dinner until the complete spinach has wilted, about three minutes. Take away the skillet from the heat and put apart.
- Within the meantime, to rearrange the tomato sauce: Pour the tomatoes proper right into a mesh sieve or incredible colander and drain off the excess juice for a minute. Then, change the drained tomatoes to the bowl of a meals processor. Add the basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, and purple pepper flakes.
- Pulse the mixture about 10 events, until the tomatoes have broken all the best way right down to an merely spreadable consistency. Pour the mixture proper right into a bowl for later (it’s best to have a little bit of over 2 cups sauce). Rinse out the meals processor and return it to the machine.
- Pour half of the cottage cheese (1 cup) into the processor and blend it until straightforward, about 1 minute. Change the mixture to large mixing bowl. No should rinse out the bowl of the meals processor this time; merely put it once more onto the machine because you’ll need it later.
- Change the cooked veggies and spinach mixture to the bowl of the meals processor. Pulse until they’re additional finely chopped (nevertheless not puréed!), about 5 to 7 situations, stopping to scrape down the sides as essential. Change the mixture to the bowl of whipped cottage cheese. Excessive with the remaining cottage cheese, then add ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt (to fashion) and lots of freshly flooring black pepper. Stir to combine. Now it’s lasagna assembly time!
- Unfold ½ cup tomato sauce evenly over the underside of a 9” by 9” baking dish. Layer three lasagna noodles on prime (snap off their ends to go well with, and/or overlap their edges as compulsory). Unfold half of the cottage cheese mixture evenly over the noodles. Excessive with ¾ cup tomato sauce, then sprinkle ½ cup shredded cheese on excessive.
- Excessive with three additional noodles, adopted by the remaining cottage cheese mixture (we’re skipping the tomato sauce on this layer.) Sprinkle ½ cup shredded cheese on excessive.
- Excessive with three additional noodles, then unfold ¾ cup tomato sauce extreme (you possibly can have a bit of bit sauce leftover) to evenly cowl the noodles. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Wrap a sheet of parchment paper throughout the excessive of the lasagna (or cowl the lasagna with aluminum foil, nevertheless don’t let the foil contact the cheese). Bake, coated, for 18 minutes, then take away the cover, rotate the pan by 100 eighty° and proceed cooking for about 10 to 12 additional minutes, until the very best is popping spotty brown.
- Take away from oven and let the lasagna cool for 15 to twenty minutes, so it has time to set and funky all the best way right down to a cheap temperature. Sprinkle additional basil extreme, then slice and serve.